Saturday, January 16, 2016

TABLE TALK


“This reminds you that Jesus loves you very much.”  Those were the words used when the minister gave the elements to my grandson as he participated in the Lord’s Supper on Christmas Eve.  My grandson is five.
Hearing the story, I recalled an incident that took place several years ago.  It was our monthly observance of the Supper and we had guests—a family with young children.  As the elements were distributed, the parents allowed their children to take the bread and the cup.  A venerable saint sitting nearby saw this and was not pleased.  She said to the parents, “This is serious and we don’t let little children take part.”  Those parents never returned.
Doubtless, many Baptists would praise her—though they, themselves, might not have been bold enough to scold the parents.  Funny, it’s “the Lord’s Table.”  I wonder if he would be so fussy about children enjoying a simple wafer and a bit of juice.
And, of course, those who served my grandson were right: the Supper is a reminder that Jesus loves us very much.
Back in the eighteenth century Solomon Stoddard shocked many New England Congregationalists by suggesting the Supper was “a converting ordinance” and allowing those who had never professed conversion to participate.  He hoped the repeated reminder of Christ’s gracious sacrifice would prompt personal commitment to him.  (Apparently Stoddard finally sensed he was a recipient of God’s grace while participating in the Supper, so he hoped others would have the same experience.)  Anyway, some of his fellow pastors agreed, many did not.  The controversy about who can and cannot “take communion” continues today.
The churches I have served practiced “open” communion; we invited all believers to join in the celebration of the Supper.  Some Baptists are uncomfortable with that, insisting only fellow Baptists or, more narrowly, only their fellow church members may participate.
The debate erupted days after I began serving my church in Texas.  I was a nervous, naïve, new pastor as I officiated at the Lord’s Supper for the first time.  I felt relieved to have gotten through it without a mishap and happy we had visitors that morning.  It was a day for firsts because that evening I moderated at the first business meeting since becoming pastor.  I asked for new business and a member challenged me, “Since when do we practice open communion?”  I was caught off-guard; the pulpit committee had told me the church practiced open communion!  It was a tense few moments as I stammered around trying to explain.  The discussion ended when a deacon said, “If a non-member takes the elements, you’ll have to snatch them out of their hands because I’m not going to do it.”
I’m glad no one snatched the elements from my grandson’s hands.  Church can be a scary enough place for a child.  I’m also glad he heard the simplest explanation for what was happening.  He didn’t need to hear words like “Eucharist,” “sacrament,” “ordinance,” or “transubstantiation” (indeed, if someone had tried to explain that concept, he likely would have thought they were kidding).  He had a better chance of understanding “Jesus loves you very much.”  He understands what it means to be loved (though, like all of us, he could spend his life trying to understand the meaning of God’s love).
As an evangelical I understand the power of the word, the evangel, the word of God’s love for us.

Whether we call it the Eucharist, the Lord’s Supper, or communion, the rite embodies that word, the evangel, that Good News.