Saturday, January 2, 2016

Challenges for a New Year



I preached this sermon on New Year’s Eve in 2000.  As will be obvious, a very contested presidential election was just past.  We are entering another election year where I anticipate quite a bit of tension.  I hope what I said at that time will be useful today.  I also hope that what I said will be helpful in dealing with disagreements, wherever you may live.

Matthew 28:20b
Text Intro:  The promise I am about to read is usually read before sermons on missions.  It’s a shame to leave it there. 
************
Some people tell us that tonight will be the real beginning of the millennium-they probably right but any celebrations would almost certainly be anticlimactic compared to last year’s festivities.  I guess if this is the real beginning of the millennium, then this has to be the real beginning of the 21st century.  The only thing I am sure of is that along about midnight tonight a new year will begin.
Actually, I sure of something else as well:  The New Year will bring challenges.  Some of those challenges will be familiar to us.  Some of those challenges will be new to us.
I want to spend the next few minutes looking at what I believe will be some important challenges we Christians will face in 2001.  I’m not listing them in any particular order nor do I claim this is an exhaustive list.  I simply want to offer what I hope are some biblical observations on these special challenges.
1)  This year we are going to face challenges as Christian citizens.
You may have seen the map of the nation which circulated shortly after the election. It revealed a badly divided nation.  Both George W. Bush and Al Gore won at least 49% of the votes cast in the election.  For only the fourth time in our nation’s history the winner of the popular vote lost the presidency because he did not win the electoral vote.  Because of the unique circumstances surrounding this election there is probably more tension and apprehension as we anticipate the President’s inauguration than there has been in years.
Yet the maps and the demographic studies reveal only part of the story.  For almost a quarter century now there has been a growing tendency to see American politics in terms of good versus evil.  We no longer look at the two parties as representing two ways of approaching the problems faced by our nation.  Of course, American political debate has always been marked by rough and tumble struggle, but there was usually an underlying respect for the loyal opposition. 
Although both Democrats and Republicans are guilty of the name-calling and posturing which invokes the Name of God in defense of their positions, I have to confess I believe evangelicals have been more careless in ascribing demonic motives to those with whom they disagree.  I say “careless,” because evangelicals, at least theoretically, have a more profound understanding of human depravity than non-evangelicals and, consequently, should be more sensitive to the fact that they might not know the best way to deal with a problem or have the clearest insight into another‘s motives. 
In any case, this behavior disturbs me because I consider myself an evangelical and I share many of the social and political positions dear to the average evangelical.  It disturbs me further when I realize how easy it is to fall into the trap of carping and criticizing rather than trying to understand and persuade those with whom I disagree.
Maybe this is the time to observe that Leno and Letterman can get away with saying things that a pastor shouldn’t even try to say.  In other words, if I’ve offended you by taking what you consider cheap shots at your candidate, forgive me.  I intend to try to restrain myself.
So, as I approach this New Year, I face the challenge to trying to escape the easy way of name-calling and demonizing those with whom I disagree while embracing restraint and dialogue.  Does this mean I favor compromise on important issues?
While some has suggested that compromise is the essence of politics, I don’t think that can become the watchword of Christians as they make decisions about what government policies to support.  Yet, there should be areas where we can support compromise just as there are areas where compromise will be impossible.
For example, shouldn’t it be possible to find a place of compromise on issues like gun-control and affirmative action?  [Of course, preaching this sermon today, I would probably mention immigration and national security issues.  Remember, this was sermon ushered in 2001.  None of us could imagine what was coming on 9/11 of that year.]  At the same time, I have to ask, how can we compromise on issues like abortion?  The stakes are too high.  [In the years since I preached this sermon, some opponents of abortion have taken positions that are not clearly warranted by the Scripture.  For example, while I think the situation is tragic, I don’t believe we can deny abortion to a woman whose life is at risk should her pregnancy continue.]
 As ordinary citizens, most of us have little opportunity to do more than vote.  The sad thing is so many of us don’t even take that opportunity. 
No where in the Bible are Christians commanded to vote.  This is easy to understand when we recall that the kind of open democracy under which we live was unknown in the biblical world.  Even the Greek democracies denied the franchise to many who lived under their rule.  However, in the Bible there are instances in which believers take advantage of their legal rights, suggesting that it is appropriate for Christians to make proper use of the rights and privileges which are theirs under a government.  Yet, election after election the number of eligible voters who actually vote is pitifully small.  The number of Americans who participate in this “neglection” must include many Christians.  Their reasons for not voting are probably little different from those of non-believers who don’t vote.  The prevailing reasons can usually be categorized under apathy or cynicism.
I think that’s a shame.  We have a privilege which millions yearn for and we don’t use it.  There won’t be another major election for about two years.  I hope you use that time to reevaluate your position and decide to use your vote to make your voice heard.
But there’s something more important for us to do.  You see, our first responsibility as Christian citizens begins, not in the voting booth, but on our knees.
We Christian citizens can pray for our leaders.  In fact, we are commanded to pray for them.   In 1 Timothy 2:1-2 Paul says,
“I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--  for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.”
Remember that Paul was in prison when he wrote those words, imprisoned by the very authorities he asked Christians to pray for.  In fact, the "king" at this time was the wicked Emperor Nero.
It seems to me that if Christians at both ends of the political spectrum would resolve to pray for our new President, very soon some of the animosity felt over political issues would lessen.
2)  This year we are going to face special challenges as churchmen and churchwomen.
Maybe those terms, churchmen and churchwomen, seem out of date but I’ve always liked them.  They imply more than mere membership in a church, they imply a commitment to the church as an institution and as a force in society.
Some of the challenges we face are coming because the church has fallen on hard times.  If we read the “right” magazines we’re told the church no longer has an impact on society, that it is a dinosaur in the final struggle before extinction.  But, I’ve studied enough history to know that it is always too soon to publish the church’s obituary.
Consider what happened just recently.   A few months ago a “topless car wash” opened here in Columbus.  The owner of the car wash also owns a meat packing plant.  He regularly donates meat to a Grove City church so they could contribute it to the poor.
When he opened the car wash, the pastor realized there was a moral conflict.  Respectfully, but clearly, he explained to the owner that the church could no longer accept the donations of meat.  That stance made such an impact on this man that he just announced his carwash would no longer be topless.
I know the church takes a lot of public flak whenever it takes a stand on moral issues, but I suspect--and I may be naive here-- that the church which takes that stand in a simple, honest, respectful way earns a lot of quiet respect. 
As we begin the New Year we will face moral challenges.  Lots of voices will call us to give up ethical standards of the Bible.  We will be told that we must be modern, that we must accommodate to the realities of a new age, that the old standards will doom us.  In the words of the renegade Bishop Spong, the church must change or die.  But, again, it is always too soon to publish the church’s obituary.
Just this past year, researchers announced their startling findings that divorce is bad for children, that children fare better with intact families.  Seems like we’ve heard that somewhere before.
As we enter this New Year, I hope the church is ready to face the challenge of being the church.
[Here I introduced a length section on issues facing Southern Baptists.  I thouldh about deleting it before posting this but decided to leave it; I am leaving it to be historically honest and because some of you reading this may have similar issues facing your own denominations.  In some instances you might be able to insert the name of your denomination for “Southern Baptist.”  Of course, if you’re not interested in these matters, you can just skip to the next point.] 
Then, this year I think we are going to face certain challenges as Southern Baptist Christians.  Those of you who are not Southern Baptists will forgive me if I spend a few minutes addressing this issue because you know how seldom I discuss them at all.
Even those of you who might not be Southern Baptists know our denomination is divided.  I suppose the news report earlier this year about former President Jimmy Carter leaving the convention brought it to the attention of lots of people.
Let me say at the outset that I don’t like a lot of what our new leaders are doing.  Never mind they may have given Home Life a classier look, their approach to dealing with what may have been genuine problems left a wake of division and controversy.
A major result of this controversy has been the creation of a new denomination--a term some of its members would avoid but it fits.  It’s a denomination made up of former Southern Baptists who felt disenfranchised by the new leadership.  Ironically, this new group is so opposed to setting doctrinal and ethnical standards it has become the denomination their more conservative brethren warned us about.
During the past year several prominent Southern Baptist churches left the convention to become part of this new group.
Where do I stand on all this?  When I lived in Texas I used to tell people there were three groups in the Southern Baptist Convention:  The Fundamentalists, the Liberals, and the Disgusted.  I’ll let you guess which group I belong to.
Frankly, from a biblical viewpoint there is little wrong with the basic tenets of Fundamentalist theology.  Go back in history and you’ll discover that Augustine, Anselm, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, and lots of other Christians embraced the same fundamental elements of Christian truth.  (No, they weren’t dispensationalists but not even Fundamentalists make that a doctrinal issue.)  Even some of its severest critics have acknowledged that “Fundamentalist” theology has history on its side.
Even though I don’t consider myself a fundamentalist, I’ve had occasion to study them in some depth.[1]  After years of studying these people, I believe that a fundamentalist is defined, not by his doctrine, but by his demeanor.  Or, as one writer put it, being a Fundamentalist is not a matter of theology but of temperament.[2]
What’s this got to do with the special challenges we face as Southern Baptists?  As the media picks up more and more on this controversy, people are going to ask where we stand.  As a Baptist I can’t tell you what to say.
But I will tell you what I’m going to say.  I‘m going to say:
Ÿ  For me it’s more important to be known as a Christian than to be known as a Baptist.  If and when something about being a Baptist conflicts with the historic Christian faith, I’m going to stand with the Christian position.  [This happens rarely, by the way.]
Ÿ  I believe it’s possible to remain faithful to the historic faith of Christianity without adopting an arrogant and divisive manner.  I believe this, in part, because so many Christians have done so in the past.
Ÿ  I have a lot of faith that cooler heads will ultimately prevail in the Southern Baptist Convention.  Our convention has weathered quite a few storms over its hundred-and-fifty-year history, so I’m not as ready to give up on it as some are.  [I’m not sure I would have included this in a sermon today; for the past few years I’ve paid very little attention to “convention politics.” In my last years as a pastor I focused on encouraging support for missions and left the more pugnacious to deal with other matters—not the most courageous stance, perhaps, but one I could live with.]
Ÿ  With regard to the new Baptist group, I intend to say that a lot of good men and women are part of it, but it is always dangerous to be defined by what you don’t believe rather than by what you do believe.  I can’t see myself ever joining with this group.
Ÿ  Finally, I intend to reaffirm the role of the local church in our lives as Baptists.  The local church is still the final arbiter of these matters.  So far, no matter what’s been going on at the denominational headquarters, no one has called me to tell me what I must do and believe or what our church must do and believe. 
 Now, before I move on to another challenge, let me say one more thing.  Ultimately, I’d like it if visitors went away from our church remembering our love for God, the richness of our fellowship, and the warmth of our welcome rather than our denominational affiliation.
3)  This year we’re going to face special challenges as witnesses for Christ in the 21st Century.
Peter reports that well before the end of the first century there were some scoffers who loved to ask Christians, “Where is the promise of his coming?”  Apparently, as persecution grew more intense some Christians wondered if God had forgotten about them.  The Book of Revelation, in part, was written to say, “No, he hasn’t forgotten.”
At the end of the first millennium many European Christians fearfully expected the end of the world to come.  It didn’t. 
Now, at the end of the second millennium, many American Christians may well be saying to themselves, “I sure hope the Second Coming doesn’t happen until they publish the last installment of the ‘Left Behind’ series.”
If you had told me a decade ago that a series of books written by a Fundamentalist evangelist and a former sports writer, books based on pre-millennial theology, would be on the best seller list as we entered the 21st century, I would have thought you were pulling my leg.
I don’t intend to review these books for you this morning, but I just want to remind you that the New Testament could possibly be sub-titled:  “Instructions on What to Do Until the Lord Returns.”  I do hope that the popularity of these books will encourage more people to read the New Testament.  You and I shouldn’t need such incentive.
When we take a look at that the New Testament it will have several things to tell us about facing the new century:
Ÿ  We will be told to keep our commitment to Christ strong. 
Ÿ  We will be told to keep on loving, even if people become more unlovable.
Ÿ  We will be told to keep on encouraging our fellow Christians to be Christlike in a hostile world.  The venue for this encouragement is the fellowship of the church.
Ÿ  We will be told to take continued comfort in the promise of his coming.
Ÿ  We will be told to use whatever means we can, both new and old, to tell others about the love of God in Jesus Christ.

The Bible doesn’t foretell the coming of automobiles, airplanes, computers, televisions, or any other modern invention.  It does tell us that whatever changes and challenges the calendar brings, God will be with us.
I suppose as we begin this new year, this new century, this new millennium, that’s just about the most important thing I could tell you.




[1]  A chapter in my dissertation, “Crisis On the High Plains:  Amarillo Baptists from 1920 to 1940,” focuses on fundamentalism and its influence.

[2]  If memory serves, this distinction came from Harold John Ockenga.