Friday, August 3, 2012

Observation 1

            Yogi Berra is said to have said, "You can observe a lot by looking."  I've decided to begin including some observations along with my regular sermons.  I will give me an outlet so I won't bore my friends and family with them.  You can stop reading them if you get bored; if they get bored they would have to leave the table or walk out of the room and that would be rude.

The other day Pat and I were running some errands and decided we’d grab something quick to eat in the car so we could keep moving.  We were near a Chick-fil-A and planned to drive-thru there.  At the last minute, we changed our minds.  So, in the end, I didn’t eat chicken, I ate a hot dog.  (Yes, it may have had chicken in it and other ingredients I’d rather not know about, thank you.)  If we hadn’t changed our minds we might have inadvertently participated in a display of support for the fast-food chain.  But I never knew the demonstration was planned and I’d guess thousands who happened to eat at Chick-fil-A on August 1 hadn’t heard either. 

In case you haven’t heard, the issue concerning Chick-fil-A involves the company’s opposition to same-sex marriage or, perhaps, its support of what the company considers traditional marriage. 

The company’s position has stirred controversy.  Supporters of same-sex marriage are calling on people to boycott the restaurant and supporters of traditional marriage (like Mike Huckabee and Glenn Beck) called on people to support the restaurant by eating there on August 1.

I find the whole matter disturbing. On the one hand, those who support a boycott seem to be saying that they’d rather coerce support than have genuine heart-felt, thought-out support from a company.  In other words, they say, “We don’t mind if you’re a hypocrite as long as your hypocrisy supports our cause.”  At the same time, those who support a “buycott” may be inadvertently persuading any local store managers who happen to disagree with corporate to keep quiet about their opinions. 

In the face of this, it seems appropriate to ask, where it all ends.  Obviously, if I am a vegan, I am going to avoid Wendy’s, McDonald’s, and Taco Bell (maybe).  But should I enter every restaurant with a list of questions on issues I consider important?  Should I, for example, ask the manager at Applebee’s about corporate’s stance on immigration, global-warming, or health care? 

Ultimately, when are we going to stop doing ethics by the numbers?  I know this runs contrary to most modern thinking and maybe I should say most post-modern thinking but the rightness or wrongness of a matter shouldn’t be determined by its popularity.  If an issue is right, does it matter how many CEOs support it?  If it’s wrong, does the support of hundreds of CEOs make it right?  

Several years ago, when evangelicals and Roman Catholics decided to boycott Paramount over The Last Temptation of Christ, they were thought to be fools.  I didn’t support the boycott because I doubted many would take the film seriously.  I never saw the film but I may only see three films a year.

I don’t know how the controversy affected attendance but film critic Stephen Greydanus says it remains impossible to write a review of the film without the controversy intruding.  If the review is positive, the critic is accused of being anti-Christian; if the review is negative, the critic is accused of being a fundamentalist. So much for open discourse.

On a related note, shortly after coming to Ohio a church member proudly told me she had travelled to Cincinnati to see the controversial exhibit of Robert Mapplethorpe’s photos.  I suspect she wasn’t really interested in his art but it was her way of telling me, “Look, I’m a Baptist but I’m no narrow-minded fundamentalist.”  So much for the integrity of protesting protest.

Just the other day I got a card from a local politician telling me how much she appreciated my talking to Barry (not that Barry) who was campaigning on her behalf in our neighborhood.  I recalled Barry’s visit but we really didn’t talk.  The moment I opened the door our Corgi-mix Copper was there loudly protesting Barry’s presence.  She protested his being on her porch.  She protested his knocking on her door.  She protested his disturbing her mid-afternoon nap that she takes prior to her late-afternoon nap.  Copper’s protesting kept much dialogue from happening. 

I suspect it’s that way with most protests.

When I actually heard about the Chick-fil-A controversy, I immediately thought I’d like a nice twelve-pack of nuggets.  And, at the same time, I felt I’d enjoy following it with a couple scoops of Cherry Garcia from Ben and Jerry’s.