Monday, November 2, 2020

Praying on Election Eve

 Anne Lamott tells of a friend who begins her day with the prayer, “Whatever.” She ends her day praying, “Oh, well.” 

Over the years I attended many denominational meetings that took place only weeks before an election. Usually the moderator would include in his benediction, along with prayers for travelling mercies and blessings on the churches represented, a phrase like, “Lord, we pray for your will to be done in the upcoming election.” To this, the assembled pastors and church leaders would intone, “Amen.” Then, weeks later, at least some of those who had endorsed the seemingly bipartisan spirit of that prayer would complain about the results of the election.

How should we pray on this day before the election? Should I say THE election? After all, many a pundit has said this is “the most important” election in our lifetime. (Seems we’ve had a lot of those in recent years.)

I confess I am feeling the weight of not being able to join my friends at our weekly lunch (a situation first imposed by the pandemic and then rendered permanent by our cross-country move): there is no opportunity to laugh away the angst generated by this election. Or maybe these usually optimistic guys are also fearful of what will happen after November 3. This stressful year has seen both the Left and the Right spawn groups willing to meet disappointment with violence. 

Nearly a half-century ago, I did a pastoral internship under Ira Stanphill (1914-1993). Stanphill wasn’t a Baptist but he still graciously allowed a student at a Baptist seminary an opportunity to meet with him weekly and listen to his wisdom. Though he was a successful pastor and evangelist, his real legacy is found in the songs he wrote. His “Room at the Cross for You” was often used during the invitation at Billy Graham crusades. But another of his songs is on my mind on this election-eve. Written in the midst of the turbulent post-war years, I Know Who Holds Tomorrow, speaks of the inevitable flirtation with anxiety even in those who know the futility of worry. The song's refrain speaks to situations like those we face this election:

Many things about tomorrow

I don't seem to understand

But I know who holds tomorrow

And I know who holds my hand.


That’s certainly more comforting than, “Oh, well.”