Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Imagined Letter

Beloved Brothers and Sisters,
 I am writing to you as your shepherd, your pastor, your minister, your guide in these difficult times of confusion.
Very soon you will be getting a check from our great president. What will you do with the unexpected money, tainted though it may be by the hands of a government that has turned its back on the Bible-way?
Will you pay your mortgage with that money? Instead of thinking about your own house maybe you should think of the Lord’s House. Imagine standing at the Judgment Seat and hearing the Lord say, “Weren’t you just a little selfish thinking about your needs while your good pastor went without a Keurig for his office?”
Are you thinking about saving that check for your child’s college education? Well I guess that’s ok if you want your sweet girl or your innocent boy learning about evolution or reading those worldly books by Shakespeare or Jane Austen. Or even that Jakay Rolling and her teenage witches. What a waste when our church is ready to tell your children what to think about everything important—always ready, as long as we can keep the lights on, of course.
Could you be thinking about giving it to some charity? Sure, that sounds like a good idea, until you remember our dear Lord said, “Man does not live by bread alone.” Yes, you could feed the bodies of those folks who can’t be bothered to find a job.  But what about their souls? Remember, that same money could put your pastor’s latest book into their hands. That book will last a lot longer than a carton of baby formula.
Do I need to tell you we pastors are sometimes tempted to struggle and worry, too? But just as I am about to listen to Satan’s whisperings, I hear the Lord say, “Remember how generous my people are.” And I do remember. I am remembering now as I think about those checks. I’m sure you will do the right thing. You won’t disappoint me—or the Lord, naturally.
Praying you got the message, I remain…
Your Pastor

PS: I am truly blessed when I see how many of you defy the governor’s devilish order and come here on Sundays instead of staying at home. As long as you come, I promise I won’t fail to give you an opportunity to hear me and an opportunity to put a generous gift in the offering. Now I’m sure you’ve heard some folks who have been at these services have come down with the virus. Don’t go feeling guilty. No doubt they just don’t have the humble faith we do.