Tuesday, December 12, 2017

That Flaming Flower

That Flaming Flower

I took two years of high school Spanish, did some online courses to review, and lived over a dozen years in a community with a fifty percent Hispanic population.  Still, fluency in the language evades me.  I can do a pretty good job ordering in a Mexican restaurant, if the server speaks English.
I do recall some stories from my classes.  Like the story of the South American country having trouble introducing traffic lights because the people refused to obey a machine. (Apparently, many of those drivers moved to Ohio.)
I remember reading how in one country a gentleman allows a woman to walk on the street side of the sidewalk.  The custom developed differently here so the woman might not be splashed with mud thrown up by passing vehicles.  Those men in the Spanish speaking country walked next to the houses because servants often threw the contents of chamber pots out the windows—without first looking.
It was in a Spanish class I first heard the story of the Poinsettia.
                                                                                                                                                                 
In sixteenth-century Mexico, according to the story, a little girl named Pepita was too poor to present a gift at the church during its celebration of Christmas.  An angel appeared her and told her to pick some weeds and present them. As she carried the weeds to the front of the church she was weeping with shame.  Her tears fell on some of the weeds’ broad green leaves.  Those leaves suddenly turned bright crimson.  Pepita’s weeds became the most beautiful flowers at the altar.
America’s first minister to Mexico, Joel Roberts Poinsett, brought the flowers and the legend back to the US in 1825.  Consequently, here we know the plant (used as medicine by the Aztecs) as the Poinsettia.  In Mexico they are known as Flor de Noche Buena (the Christmas Eve Flower).  Many plants are cultivated in Egypt, where they are known as “bent de consul” or “the consul’s daughter,” referring to Poinsett.  I guess no one thought of Flor de Pepita.
Although known to Americans for nearly a century, the Poinsettias’ popularity dates from the early twentieth century.  An additional boost came from the marketing strategy of Paul Ecke, Jr.  He sent free plants to TV stations across the nation so they could be displayed on air from Thanksgiving to Christmas.  He even appeared on The Tonight Show and Bob Hope Christmas specials to publicize the plants. At one time, the Ecke family’s business produced seventy percent of the Poinsettias sold in the US. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poinsettia)
Of course, Poinsettias are associated with Christmas in America.  They appear in stores around Thanksgiving and shoppers buy them as gifts, centerpieces, and to add a little color to their homes during the bleak winter.  Artificial Poinsettias are used for door wreaths and other decorations.  Christmas wrap and cards often use Poinsettias.
You might imagine no one having any negative feelings about this colorful plant, especially in light of the touching legend associated with it.  You would be wrong. 
Let’s go back a few decades, before some of you were born. 
Go back with me to 1980, the year I accepted my first pastorate, in the tiny village of Dawn, Texas.  I had preached at this little church as a favor to a friend and, to my surprise, machinations went into motion and almost before I knew what was happening I had been called as the pastor.
My family and I moved into the parsonage in the early spring and I began fumbling my way as the pastor of a church filled with farmers and ranchers.  Having grown up in the greater St. Louis area, I had a lot to learn about a new culture.  Factory workers I understood but farmers were another matter.  Fortunately, my mentor (a pastor who had started his career in a similar village) had given me a good piece of advice. “Don’t make any major changes during your first year.” I resolved to follow that counsel. He also told me never to talk to reporters; I never have—principally because reporters have never talked to me.
One Sunday a few weeks before my first Christmas in Dawn, Roger and Beryl, an older couple, approached me following the service.  Beryl said, “We’ll be bringing the Poinsettia next week.” I must have looked a little puzzled because she added, “We give one every year in memory of our daughter.”  Their daughter, a young wife and mother in her late twenties, had died suddenly about a decade before. Every Christmas since her death they had given the church a large Poinsettia.  I could see no reason why the tradition shouldn’t continue so I told them that would be fine.
A few weeks before my second Christmas at the church two women approached me.  “Pastor Jim,” they said, “several of us would like to give Poinsettias in memory of family we’ve lost.” Again, I could see no reason why they shouldn’t so I said that would be great.  The next Sunday a note appeared in the bulletin inviting any family wanting to participate to bring a Poinsettia to the church the first Sunday in December.
Roger and Beryl confronted me after the benediction.  Beryl, the church organist, may have cut the postlude short.
“This isn’t right,” Roger fumed, “our Poinsettia will be lost among all the others.”
“No, I don’t think so,” I said.  “Your Poinsettia is always so large, it will stand out.”
“Doesn’t matter,” Roger said, “we’re not giving one this year or ever again.”
And so they stopped giving their Poinsettia, refusing to grant others a right they had claimed as their own.
Beryl continued to play the organ and I believe she eventually got over her disappointment.  Roger nurtured his bitterness.  The incident fueled his continual complaining about fellow church members, complaints directed especially at the deacons whose wives had approached me about allowing others to give Poinsettias.  I visited the Dawn church several years after coming to Ohio.  Roger cornered me and without asking about my family or me began a tirade against one of those deacons.  A little bolder than I had been while living in Dawn, I walked away saying, “Roger, you need to take that up with your pastor.”
So, you will understand if my first response upon seeing a flaming Poinsettia isn’t unalloyed aesthetic delight.
In time I realized Roger’s behavior was part of his character.  If it hadn’t been the Poinsettia issue, something else would have triggered his animus.  He was allergic to onions; he once told me those who brought dishes containing onions to church suppers were trying to kill him.  His self-centeredness was matched by an inflated view of himself.  He believed he was smarter than anyone else.  Wiser than anyone else.  More spiritual than anyone else.  And, when ill, he was sicker than anyone else.  So, of course, his grief ran deeper than that of anyone else.
Many, if not most, people who lose a close loved one become more compassionate toward others who have experienced loss.  Not Roger.  Allowing others to add a flower to the memorial took the spotlight off him.  He couldn’t have that.
Looking back, I realize Beryl must have sometimes shunted her own pain aside so nothing would detract from Roger’s expression of grief.
But I digress; let’s get back to those Poinsettias.  I’ve never mounted an anti-Poinsettia campaign; you’re the first I’ve mentioned my feelings to.  I’ve never failed to see their beauty but when I look at them it isn’t long before I recall Roger’s anger. I recall anxiously realizing I had alienated an important church member, recall wondering if others would ask how I could be so insensitive to the feelings of a “charter member.”  In time, I knew I had overblown the significance of Roger’s anger—something a fledgling pastor might easily do.
More important, my feelings about the plants—feelings becoming more positive each year—remind me to be careful about assumptions.  What thrills us may chill another.  You may look forward to caroling at the nursing home.  Someone else may skip the trip but be ashamed to tell you they do so because it brings back memories of a parent languishing in such a facility.  We shouldn’t judge.
My experience didn’t cripple my ministry at Dawn.  I stayed there for another decade.  Every Christmas the chancel blazed with Poinsettias.  Some families gave a plant every year; some, just the Christmas following the loss of a loved one.  Some of the Poinsettias were lush plants purchased at a florist; some were purchased at the local Food King.  Some families never participated; all had the opportunity.  Roger and Beryl kept their promise (threat) and never again gave a Poinsettia, though I suspect Beryl sometimes wished she had the courage to defy Roger.
Christmas—that time for singing of peace and goodwill—can be a time of great tension.  Maybe it’s significant Poinsettias do not tolerate temperatures below 45°F; they are just a bit fragile, like some people’s feelings this season.  Then, too, if you are going to trim dead and dying leaves off a Poinsettia, you should wear gloves because the sap can irritate skin.  Just like some people are really irritating this time of year.
I try to keep in mind those farmer-deacons who were the objects of Roger’s vitriol.  They never answered in kind, always remained cordial, never attempted to undermine his status in the church, and always reminded me “that’s just the way he is and there’s nothing you can do about it.” 
If someone is bugging you, irritating you, driving you bonkers this season, I wish I could give you better advice than those deacons gave me.  But this is not the script for a Hallmark movie: chances are you won’t be joining your family, your friends, and your crazy-maker around the fireplace, everyone smiling and filled with goodwill.  Strangely, acknowledging there is nothing you can do about someone’s attitude and behavior frees you to focus on keeping yourself emotionally and spiritually healthy. And frees you to focus on those who get what the Season is all about.
By the way, December 12th is National Poinsettia Day.   I get it.