Monday, August 14, 2017

Accepting No Answer for an Answer



Alice Whitman was born 14 March 1837.  She was the first white child born in what would become Oregon.  Her parents, Marcus and Narcissa Whitman, had travelled across the continent to bring Christianity and medical care to the area’s Indians.  Like many other missionaries of the day, they sometimes confused Christianity linked with western culture but their commitment to God and their desire to bless the Indians was unquestioned. 
On Sunday, 23 June 1839, Alice drowned after going down to the Walla Walla River to fill her cup with water. Her parents were reading and unaware she had left the house.  The little girl, who was beloved by her parents and a delight to the local Indians, was just two years old.
Narcissa’s first impulse was to believe God had taken Alice because she and Marcus had loved the little girl too much and God would not allow any rivals for their devotion. However, Narcissa would later conclude God had taken Alice so she could devote herself more fully to teaching the Indians.
Across the continent, in New York City, Phoebe Palmer would lose three children, two in infancy and one as a toddler killed in a tragic fire.  She would also conclude God had taken her children because she loved them too much.
Why did these women come to this conclusion?  Did it reflect a strict Calvinism that perceives God micromanaging our lives?  In Narcissa’s case, was it easier to believe Marcus and she loved Alice too much than to accept they might have been careless in leaving her unattended while they read?  Did either woman ever perceive an alternative explanation for their loss, one suggesting we live in a world of chaotic events without purpose or meaning?

Might Alice’s death have been some kind of severe mercy?  A few years after the death of their daughter the Whitman’s would die in what has been described as “the most shocking missionary massacre in history.”  Had Alice been living, she might have died with her parents or been carried away a captive by the Indians, like Cynthia Ann Parker a few years later in far-off Texas.  Carried away to what some in her day would have called a fate worse than death.  If so, why weren’t Narcissa’s other children extended that mercy?
Narcissa Whitman’s ministry would come to an abrupt end; Phoebe Palmer would become the most influential woman in 19th century American evangelicalism.  Was her loss intended to free her for wider service outside the narrow boundaries of her home? 
When faced with such tragedies, we want answers to our deepest questions.  But sometimes we are obliged to accept no answer as the answer to our quest to discover a rationale for what happens to us.
That’s tough and I won’t claim it’s easy to accept the situation.  We yearn to understand why things happen.  Sometimes that yearning goes unfulfilled.  Sometimes we seize any answer to escape having no answer.
New Orleans was being punished for its wickedness.  That was one of the earliest explanations I heard for Katrina, the hurricane that devastated a substantial area of the Gulf Coast.  Those offering that explanation stumble when confronted with pictures of churches destroyed by the storm, churches that had faithfully served the gospel and their communities for generations.
Such explanations for tragic events leave as many questions as answers.
Doubtless the Old Testament portrays God bringing judgment upon wicked nations but those explanations for the pestilence, famine, and war ravaging the nation were given by prophets whose insights were divinely inspired.  Few of us possess such insights.  I know I don’t.
The danger of attempting to declare the reasons for national tragedy are multiplied when we consider the personal tragedies faced by those around us.
Job’s friends looked at his condition and concluded there had to be “something” to explain what was happening to one so famed for his piety.  Of course, their explanation was hidden sin.  In this case the explanation was entirely different.  Job’s testing experience reflected God’s confidence in him.  Job was not without sin nor, as it turned out, the most theologically astute person around.  But he was the real deal.  Job of Uz was no hypocrite.
Ultimately, God did not let Job in on the backstory and, of course, had to let Job know some of his thinking about suffering was as muddled as his friends’ thinking.
But isn’t our thinking just as muddled when we assume some Divine machinations are behind whatever happens to us?
I know the question might prompt some to accuse me of denying God’s providence in our lives.  I certainly know God has acted on my behalf even when I was unaware of it.  And I certainly don’t mean to claim there have been events taking place in my life while God was looking the other way.  But neither do I mean God must have been directly involved in those events.
To what extent was God involved in my choosing to buy a Subaru rather than a Nissan after so many years of being happy with my Pathfinder?  Any at all?  Did he care?  Would he have preferred I buy American?  Whatever I have been driving, is it not likely God has kept watch over my passengers and me?  But is it not likely God has watched over me both by direct intervention in specific instances and indirectly by “fearfully and wonderfully” making me with an inclination to drive the speed limit?
That God’s providence has been at work in my life I have no doubt.  That God’s providence has been at work in your life I am equally certain.  That I can find every event in my life or your life programmed by God I am not so certain.  I am sure nothing has taken God by surprise; I am also sure God did not cause all the bead stuff in my life. 
I think this view is more defensible than any view demanding God be the author of every event in our lives—every event.  Years ago, I read an evangelical author who said the notion of God determining the tie I wear in the morning (I said this was years ago) was akin to paganism.
We might compare our lives to Huck Finn’s raft.  On that raft, Huck and Jim had freedom.  They could chew, cuss, fish, sleep away an afternoon, and do a number of things the adults back in town would disapprove.  But no matter what they did on the raft, the river determined where they were going.  Indeed, we might argue Mark Twain made the Mississippi as much a character in the novel as those boisterous boys. 
In the same way, we have freedom—God-given freedom—to direct our lives.  In practice, this freedom is far broader than what Huck and Jim had on the raft.  But our exercise of that freedom cannot thwart God’s plan for the ages.  Stalin and Mao could rage against the church but all their onslaughts could not overrule the promise that “the gates of hell will not prevail against it.”  We can choose align ourselves with God’s plan or we can choose to oppose that plan; both choices have eternal consequences.  As much as God might wish us to choose the former, I see no evidence of his hijacking our freedom.
I once knew a woman who had been taught to believe God ordered every event in her life.  Some years before I met her she had been assaulted while out jogging.  Well after this experience she was still expending emotional, intellectual, and spiritual energy trying to discern what God could have possible been doing.  How did such a personal violation fit into his plans for her life?  She never lost her faith.  But she never found an answer.
Might it not be better if she had blamed her attacker for misusing his freedom rather than imagining God to be the source of his heinous impulses?
On a larger scale, seeing God behind every event may lead us to assume our successes must reflect his endorsement.
In 1636, Puritans in Massachusetts waged a war against the Pequot Indians, a war designed to justify their seizure of Connecticut from settlers who had moved to escape Boston’s authority.  Even their Indian allies, the Narragansetts, believed the attack on one Pequot village was too violent.  Most of its residents—men, women, and children—had been burned alive.  Though acknowledging the attack made “a fearful sight,” Governor William Bradford “…concluded ‘the victory seemed a sweet sacrifice’ which God ‘had wrought so wonderfully for them.’”[1] 
These same Puritans regularly killed captive Indian children or sold them to slave holders in the Caribbean.  William Hubbard (1621-1704), longtime pastor in Ipswich, Massachusetts, and an amateur historian, believed their success in capturing these “young serpents of the same brood” to be evidence of “Divine Favour to the English.”[2]
Anne Hutchinson, whose crime remains difficult to define even after three and a half centuries, was banished from Massachusetts in 1638.  After her husband’s death in 1641, Anne settled in what would become the Bronx.  In 1643, Indians seeking revenge on the Dutch attacked her home.  Anne and most of her family were massacred.  Back in Boston, ministers exulted, believing this was God’s judgment on a woman who had “stepped out of [her] place” to defy them.[3]
By no means were the Puritans the only Christians who have interpreted tragedies befalling their enemies as God acting as their agent.  Surely the claim to see God at work must be made carefully. Perhaps, not at all.
I can’t erase the claims those Christians have made.  I can be careful in the claims I make.
As a pastor, I often ministered to those who had experienced tragedy or loss.  Sometimes I had to comfort those who were victims of men and women who claimed to know more than they could possibly know.  Armed with such knowledge, they confidently explained just what God was doing.  Repairing the damage done was a difficult challenge.  But, at the same time, I had to resist the temptation to offer my own explanation for what was happening in the life of the puzzled sufferer.
I once visited a young father in a hospital ER.  He had suffered a mild heart attack. “Why is God doing this to me,” were his first words when I walked into the room.  I took a deep breath and said, “Bobby, I don’t know.”  I was sorely tempted to say, “Bobby, you weigh 350 pounds and you think White Castle is gourmet food.”  Even when an answer seemed obvious I tried to avoid offering it.  Sometimes I failed.
As I’ve wrestled with the issue of suffering and tragedy in the lives of others I’ve become convinced easy answers give only temporary hope.  I also know asking “Why?” is wired into our make-up.  I don’t blame anyone for asking.  I know it’s hard to accept no answer as the answer. At the same time, I never want to call God’s goodness into question by attributing a tragedy to his activity.  AI always want to point the sufferer to God, the God who cares, the God who can empower us to go on despite the pain.
Above all, I want to remember that accepting no answer may reflect more faith than claiming to have all the answers.









[1]  Colin Woodard, American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America, New York: Viking Penguin, 2011, chapter 4, page 11.
[2]  Ibid.
[3] Read more about Ann in my book The Place Accorded Of Old: Questions About Women in Ministry, available from Amazon.